Friday, January 8, 2016

My Favorite: 2 things

At Twitter Math Camp, one of the BEST times of the day is when people share "My Favorite".  This can be something very simple (a new app or a way to organize) or something earth shattering (high fiving students EVERY DAY in order to help "bond" with students!)

So here is my favorite way of differentiating a quiz.  I have a PreCal class with 17 students.  Because of scheduling issues, I have to teach both the Honors class and the College Prep class at the same time.  All this while also having 3 other courses to teach and be Math Dept. Chair.  When I can cut corners, I do.

We are doing Law of Sines, Law of Cosines (including the ambiguous case), and the area formulas. I knew this was tough for the students and we had to get it all done in 4 days, testing on the 5th, because then they go to their shops for five days (vocational-technical school).

Here are their tests.  The one on the left is the Honors version.  The one on the right is the CP version.



Yes, they are exactly alike.  The Honors has one token, good for 1 question:  they may ask one clarifying question.  The CP version has 2 tokens, good for 2 clarifying questions.   

The End.

P.S.  This is something I shared at TMC15:  Just a way of organizing whiteboards so students can get right to it and I don't have to hand out boards, markers, and wipey cloths.  I hang them on the desks with velcro.  Markers and cloths are wrapped up and put inside.  A little velro button keeps the side closed, so markers etc don't fall out (too much!).




No comments:

Post a Comment