Friday, July 17, 2015
Thursday, July 9, 2015
TMC15 is only 2 weeks away!
Yesterday I finally allowed myself to print out the sessions document. Hubbie kept laughing at me because I would shout, "yes! Going to THAT one!" and then "oh NO! This one happens at the same time as THAT one!"
So I threw out a few tweets about some of the topics that I need to get information on and I was flabbergasted at how quickly people responded!
I was hoping to pick the brains of those presenting Desmos, maybe at a different session ( a Flex Session on Saturday afternoon?). Jedediah (@mathbutler), Glen (@gwaddellnvhs) , Michael F (@mjfenton), and Bob (@bobloch), all jumped in with responses. Beth Ferguson (@algebrasfriend) shared what she will be presenting to a group of teachers in her district. All of them offered to do hallway conversations!
I am in the process of reading Making Number Talks Matter and saw that Chris will be doing a session on Number Talks in the elementary school. Both Chris and Fawn have promised to yak with me about doing Number Talks with older kids. This sparked quite a bit of interest among tweeps as many chimed in with "Me, too!"
So here are some other things I want to get out of these four days of amazing professional development:
- I hope to get my hands going in learning to teach the distributive property to students who struggle with this concept.
- I also want to learn to plan units by piecing together some of the amazing resources found through the MTBoS, and/or just do a better job at planning a year, a unit, or a lesson.
- I am hoping to get better at teaching Algebra 1, and I really want to pick the brains of my roomie, Jasmine, from TMC14 to see how to do a better job at linking Algebra and Geometry.
- I would like to help English Language Learners be more successful in their math classes.
- I want to ask better questions and learn to elicit better questions from my students. Causing a fight in my classroom may be just the way to get started!
- Building number sense is a passion of mine, including fractions (!!), and I hope to see what others use as tools to help this happen.
- I have been doing Barbie Bungee for years, but Fawn and Matt have a new take on this!
- And I really, really hope someone can help me figure out how to incorporate Number Talks, Estimation 180, Visual Patterns, etc., and STILL have time to fit in "the other stuff".
How I will manage to get to all of these, without the use of time warp technology, is still unknown.